dreamsicle linen & silk lampshade tied w/ a bowApril 28th, 2009 in member junk
I knew when I saw the frame to this lampshade what I wanted to do. It just kind of spoke to me. The frame was just that, a frame, bare and a bit rusty.
I scrubbed off the rust and wrapped cotton binding tape around the areas of framework where I would end up sewing the shade fabric. I did this so the threads would have something to grab as I sewed the fabric to the frame by hand.
Since I did not have the original covering to use as a pattern, my original idea was all the more attractive to me. This is really quite easy and only sounds difficult.
First I lined the shade. To line shades I always use plain natural cotton muslin fabric. It is easy to use, reasonably priced and very forgiving. Over the years I have made patterns for lining shades and it was really just a matter of choosing the correct pattern. You would not have to line the shade, I only lined it because I knew I would end up selling this and wanted that professional appearance.
To cover the outside of the frame, I basically made a tube of fabric equal in circumference to the base of the shade and only 1 1/2 times as tall as the shade. I used a wonderful faded orange linen I had. Once sewn together it ended up looking much like an open ended pillow case. I sewed the bottom of the tube to the frame, taking my time to gather the fabric slightly as it was a bit wider than the base of the shade. Once the bottom was sewn in place, I took the seam area and pulled it around the top of the shade until I had made a 1/2 revolution around the shade. This I pinned in place. I continued pulling and twisting and turning until I had pinned and pulled and pleated the 'tube' around the frame, creating a twisted covering.
Once everything was pinned in place and I was happy with the look, I sewed everything in place by hand. Then I trimmed off any excess.
I removed the pins and then made the bow. I backed the bow with a creamy off white silk. This I tied in a large and dramatic fashion. I stretched the 'tails' of the bow across the opposite sides at the top and bottom of the shade and pinned and sewed them in place. I then glued the knot of the bow from the inside, so it wouldn't come undone. I like the look of placing the bow 'against' the flow of the pleats, but you could go with the flow if you like.
The final step was the trim, which was just strips of pressed linen fabric glued in place around the top and bottom of the shade.
To finish off the shade with a touch of whimsy, I added a string collection of seashells and found trinkets.
Pattern or design used: My own design
posted in: member junk, vintage, cottage, eclectic, funky, , country, garden, whimsical, fun, family room, porch, living room, bedroom, entry, dining room, retro, chic, fabric, light fixture, office, sunroom, great room, wire, lamp, cream, beachy, orange, linen, 20s, 30s, 40s, shabby, romantic, lampshade